I’m sure you’ve heard of lash extensions by now. Maybe you’ve tried them. Or maybe you know someone who has tried them. Let me run through the pros and cons of lash extensions so you can figure out if they’re right for you.
- They look AMAZING!
- You wake up looking like you’ve curled your lashes and put on mascara
- They really open up your eyes and make them look bigger and lifted (almost like an eye lift without surgery)
- You won’t need mascara anymore
- You can’t rub your eyes – you have to be careful when washing your face, etc.
- Makeup becomes a bit more tricky to remove
- They aren’t cheap and need to be replaced every 4-6 weeks
- If you DO want to use mascara, you can. Just be sure to use a formula without oils.
- You must be careful to avoid makeup, eye makeup remover and skincare products with oils
- Avoid steam – this may mean going to the spa or getting that facial right before you get your lashes put on (or touched up)
- Be sure you’re getting cruelty free lashes. There are TONS of lashes that are called “mink.” Most are synthetic, but if you aren’t sure, just ask. The real mink lashes are NOT cruelty free and they are much thinner/softer, so they may not look as good as synthetic lashes anyway.
- You get what you pay for. Don’t cheap out on lashes. My friends and I have learned this the hard way. Applying lashes is not easy and you want someone who can do it properly (and use quality materials).
The first time I had lash extensions put in, I LOVED the way they looked, but they were so uncomfortable. I felt like I was always wearing fake lashes.
Recently, I went to Kelly Lash in Los Angeles, and I am so impressed with the results. Kelly has a professional lash studio in her Santa Monica apartment.
She had me lie down and then she put tape under my eyes (I asked her not to use the hydrating lash shields, because I’m allergic to some ingredients) and then applied the lashes with a fast, but gentle hand. The room was very cozy and she had soothing music playing. I think I fell asleep at one point. It took about an hour and a half to apply the full set. When she was done, I was very happy to find the lashes were very comfortable – I didn’t feel like I was wearing false lashes and my eyes weren’t irritated (like the last time I had them done at another err…cheaper place). The outcome looks very natural, but I could have gone for a more glam look if I wanted it. She can customize to your preference. She even has colored lash extensions and Swarovski crystals!
Kelly also gave me a bottle of her cruelty free Lash Cleanse to take home. It’s easy to use – just apply with a cotton swab or q-tip (q-tips work best because they don’t stick to the lashes) and then use a wet swab to remove.
To make an appointment, go to KellyLash.com and tell her Jen from My Beauty Bunny sent you! She’ll take great care of you!