In search of the best cruelty free drugstore makeup and beauty products not tested on animals? What better place to look than the aisles of the drugstore where some of our most beloved and go-to products await. When a drugstore giant takes a stance in producing cruelty free product, it’s a pretty big deal. We were curious to see which of our favorite brand giants actually supported no testing on animals. The results may surprise you.
CRUELTY FREE DRUGSTORE MAKEUP
Drugstore Brands That DO Test on Animals:
- Almay – Almay is owned by Revlon and does 3rd party testing
- Aveeno – The “natural” vibe of this brand may make you think it’s cruelty free. Sadly, it’s not.
- Banana Boat – We all need sunscreen, but skip this brand.
Cover Girl – From lash blast to lip shine, CG’s NatureLuxe and intense blasters are sadly tested on animals.(Update – Cover Girl is now Leaping Bunny certified cruelty free!)
- Crest – Don’t buy toothpaste from this animal tester.
- Hawaiian Tropic – Ugggh – it smells so good, but it’s not cruelty free.
- L’Oreal – There are other cosmetic brands out there that offer a similar true match philosophy, so we don’t need you. L’Oreal does test on animals.
- Maybelline – Turns out the “Great Lash” is not that great. Maybelline does test on animals.
- Neutrogena – We are disappointed that the #1 skin clearing brand takes a yay on the topic. Neutrogena does test on animals.
- Olay – Sorry if this is one of your faves, but sadly Olay tests on animals.
- OPI – They were cruelty free, but not anymore…
- Revlon – Revlon is not cruelty free
- Rimmel London – Rimmel is a popular brand, but not cruelty free.
- Sally Hanson – Sadly – their nail polish and treatments are tested on animals.
Cruelty Free Drugstore Makeup Brands:
- Andalou Naturals – amazing skincare at reasonable prices.
- Amope – A cruelty free brand for foot care – finally!
- Ardell – Beautiful cruelty free false lashes in every style from office-friendly to va va voom!
- Australian Gold – a cruelty free sunscreen brand you can count on to keep your skin healthy!
- Bonne Belle – Yes! Those LipSmackers are bunny-friendly!
- Burt’s Bees – You guessed it already! This earth-friendly skincare line totally supports no testing on animals. Power to the bees…. Err the non-stinging ones at least. (Update on cruelty free status.)
- Certain Dri – If natural deodorants don’t work for you, this is a cruelty free antiperspirant option!
- Crazy Rumors – Everyone’s favorite vegan lip balm!
- Derma E – If you can find this one at your local drugstore or Ulta, definitely check out their skincare options. Everything is cruelty free and vegan. I’m obsessed with their Microdermabrasion Scrub.
- Desert Essence – Bath and body products with natural ingredients like coconut oil, jojoba oil and tea tree oil.
- Dickinson’s – If you’re a witch hazel girl or guy, you’re in luck – it’s cruelty free!
- Dr. Teal’s – If you need a long soak in the bath, these bath salts will hit the spot.
- Duo Lash Glue – A false lash lover’s favorite – all cruelty free.
- Eco-Tools – All of the brushes and tools are synthetic – no animal fur or animal testing here!
- ELF – Everyone loves ELF! They have a ton of options and the price is RIGHT.
- EO Products – You can get hand soap, body wash, skincare, shampoo, and other products with natural essential oils.
- Essence – Yay! A budget makeup line that has some great selections. I really liked their highlighter!
- Every Man Jack – This is one of my fiance’s favorites, and a very popular line of skincare and shaving products for men. Find ’em at Target and Wal-Mart.
- Flower Beauty – Drew Barrymore’s line is available at Wal-Mart store.
- Giovanni – Cruelty free hair products are hard to find in drugstores, but you should be able to find Giovanni at most drugstores and big chain stores.
- Jason Naturals – This is another one that’s been around forever – and for good reason. They have great shampoo/conditioner, dental products, lotion and body wash.
- Jordana – This budget beauty line has some amazing lipsticks and glosses.
- J.R. Watkins – I’m a huge fan of their body wash, soap, lotion AND cleaning products. They have been around forever, the packaging is gorgeous and the formulas are all-natural.
- Kiss Lashes – Budget friendly false lashes and lash glue in TONS of styles. I like the faux mink the best!
- Kiss My Face – An oldie but a goodie! Their body lotions and soaps are some of the best out there.
- Milani is cruelty free and has shades for every skin tone!
- Nuance by Salma Hayek (exclusive to CVS) has a large line of color cosmetics, skincare and nail polish – all cruelty free!
- nügg – Get your single use cruelty free face masks while you’re picking up your drugstore necessities.
- NYX – How’s your highlight game? NYX has really upped their game lately – tons of Instagram-friendly makeup. NYX is now owned by L’Oreal (not cruelty free) but they remain cruelty free.
- Orly – Cruelty free and vegan nail polish! Yasssss!
- Pacifica – So many vegan options and their packaging is SO pretty!
- Pixi Beauty – One of my faves. You can find these bunny-approved products at Target.
- Pur Cosmetics (PurMinerals) – They have some amazing mineral makeup options!
- Physicians Formula – It seems like a no brainer that the skin-sensitive cosmetic brand would be an advocate of not testing on our furry friends. They have a great bronzer and highlighter selection.
- SheaMoisture – You can find hair products and soaps and lotions for every type at your local drugstore, Target or Wal-Mart. They also have makeup and baby products.
- Sonia Kashuk – You can find this makeup artist inspired brand at Target.
- Tom’s of Maine – Cruelty free toothpaste, mouthwash, soap, lotion and body wash for the whole family! I’ve been using Tom’s of Maine for about 20 or so years now! The brand is now owned by Clorox (not cruelty free), but they remain cruelty free.
- Ulta House Brand – If you shop at Ulta, you can pick up their budget-friendly color cosmetics.
Wet ‘n Wild – My makeup must when I was a teen – I even have an old palette with an amazing bronze eyeshadow that I can’t bring myself to throw away! Wet ‘n Wild makes a great product if you are looking to stretch your buck and feel good about yourself, since Wet ‘n Wild does not test on animals! They also have great nail polish.(Wet n Wild is selling in China and can no longer be considered cruelty free.)
- Yes to Carrots – Yes To can fulfill your every skincare need – find it at drugstores everywhere!
You can find most of these cruelty free drugstore makeup products at Ulta, Walgreens, CVS, Rite Aid, Duane Reade, Target and Wal-Mart. What other brands would you add to this list?