Wanderlust Wednesday: Traveling with Extra Large Cats? Here’s the Perfect Extra Large Cat Carrier You’ll Need
My big cat, Kenji, is not afraid to show me what he thinks of traveling! The pic above expresses it pretty well! I think most people would agree that traveling with cats is usually the worst! Some cats may not mind it, but I think most cat owners pretty much avoid it at all costs. I have two cats (one giant 20 pounder and one tiny 4 pounder) and one dog, and they ALL HATE LEAVING THE HOUSE. Imagine the times I’ve had to travel with all three of my fur kids – it’s so stressful! They are all meowing or whining, and the dog is practically hyperventilating. It’s not fun!
But sometimes you have to travel with your cats. Pretty much the only time we subject them to travel is when they have to go to the vet. Other than that it has only been when I’ve moved to a new apartment. One of those moves was across the country (about eight years ago – one way via car and the other via airplane), and they still haven’t forgiven me for it!
I recently received an extra large cat carrier from Pet Magasin. It’s an affordable ($21.97), soft-sided, TSA-approved pet carrier that works for most cats and some small dogs, that you can easily order on Amazon. I wanted to try it out because I was hoping my 20+ lb dog would fit in it. Unfortunately no – Riley is a terrier/poodle mix, and he has really long legs, so he wouldn’t fit comfortably in the carrier. Cats can curl up into smaller “cat puddles” easily, so my big 20 pound cat, Kenji, fit in the carrier without problems. Yes, it was a little tight, but not bad, and it seems that cats are usually okay with smaller spaces. For my little 4 lb cat, Miko, it’s as big as a New York apartment!
Here’s what I like about their extra large cat carrier:
- It’s big! (18″x11″x10″)
- It’s light weight (the website says 2.2 lbs but it feels so much lighter than that!). My big cat is heavy enough – we don’t need more bulk!
- It’s easy to store. It has one big zipper that allows it to be broken down flat for storage.
- It has padded sides so I know my kitties will be comfortable.
- It has a padded strap so I can lug them around easily.
- It’s waterproof. I can’t imagine buying a pet carrier that ISN’T waterproof!
- It has a little seat belt inside. You attach it to their collar. This may be useful for my little cat so she’s not sliding around in there.
- It’s TSA approved. I don’t intend to go on any cross-country trips with my cats anytime soon, but it’s nice to have that option.
- It has a velcro patch to prevent sliding on airplane floors. Again – not planning any air travel with my cats, but that’s a nice little feature to have.
- It has a back pocket to store treats or wipes, or whatever you need to bring with you.
So….do you need an extra large cat carrier? This is a great affordable option. You can find it at Amazon and get free one-day shipping if you have Prime! There’s also a 2 year warranty and 100% money back guarantee.
FTC Note: I was not paid for this extra large cat carrier post. I received a complimentary sample for review. I keep it real! All opinions are my own.